The kind of chao you get now depends entirely on the garden it is raised in (which means Hero and Dark Fruits are no longer available) and will change alignment when interacted with in a specific garden. At the start of the game, a Neutral Garden, a Hero Garden, and a Dark Garden are available, with two eggs in each. However, raising a chao successfully to adulthood in any of the gardens will unlock more gardens, for a total of three unlockable gardens; another Neutral Garden, Hero Garden and Dark Garden. You can hold 10 Chao in each garden, which means you can raise a total of 60 Chao!
There are still small animals in the game that you either find hiding in pipes or small jars or collected from Robotnik's Badnik minions. There are now four animals in each category, rather than three. The animals in each category are as follows (as well as the random ability they give to each Chao, however note that Spooky animals do something different):
- Lion (roars)
- Tiger (scratches tree)
- Gorilla (pounds chest)
- Rabbit (jumps in place)
- Cheetah (cleans face)
- Deer (rubs head on tree)
- Otter (lets Chao swim on back)
- Penguin (slides on belly)
- Fish (lets Chao dive underwater)
- Blue Bird (sings)
- Peacock (poses)
- Skunk (farts XD)
- Mole (digs into ground)
- Raccoon (back flip)
- Dragon (breathes fire)
- Phoenix (Struts)
- Unicorn (kicks back feet)
- Gryphon (flaps wings)
- Skeleton Dog (removes animal limbs)
- Bat (removes legs, may make flame replace ball on Chao's head)
- Fishman (same as Skeleton Dog, may make flame replace ball on Chao's head)
- Black Cat
The replacements to the Chaos Drives in SA2 Battle, these are collected from the main enemies in the game; The Rottid. Their abilities are as follows:
- Raises Power by 5 points. Makes child Chao become PowerType Chao with enough usage.
- Raises Run by 5 points. Makes child Chao become RunType Chao with enough usage.
- Raises Swim by 5 points. Makes child Chao become SwimType Chao with enough usage.
- Raises Fly by 5 points. Makes child Chao become FlyType Chao with enough usage.
- Raises all stats (except for stamina) by 3 points. Makes child Chao become NormalType Chao with enough usage.
There are 5 Stat Trainers (one for each Stat) in the Chao Garden who will take your Chao and level up any of their stats by one Rank for a price of 1000 Rings. The Stat Trainers are as follows;