Different users at SFW have access to different functions of the site. While anyone can do most things on the site, including reading and editing, the administrators have a few extra abilities.
Administrator abilities Edit
These additional functions are:
- Deleting and undeleting pages, page histories, and uploaded files.
- Locking (protecting) a page so it cannot be edited or renamed by users without admin rights.
- Blocking IP addresses or user names from editing (Referred to as "using the Banhammer" in most cases,) and quick rollbacking of undesirable or bad-faith edits.
- Editing the MediaWiki interface by changing system messages and skins.
A bureaucrat can make other users into bureaucrats or administrators on their own wiki. However, he or she is not currently able to remove admin access from any user; please contact one of the community staff if you need that done.
Some Wikia staff members have full access to all Wikia. They will be shown in Special:Listusers/staff on any wiki. Wikia janitors have limited administrator access to all Wikia for cleanup purposes. These users will be shown on Special:Listusers/janitor on any Wikia. Please see the Central Wikia contact page for details on how to contact Wikia staff.
Who are this wiki's administrators? Edit
- Administrator nominations are now closed.
The "founder" of SFW, the person who first requested it, was given administrator access automatically. The founder was also given bureaucrat access so they can make any other user on SFW an administrator or bureaucrat. Here is the official list of administrators, as amended on November 22, 2012.
|Memphis the Light||Active||Bureaucrat|
|Smash the Echidna||Active||Admin|
How do I use administrator powers? Edit
Becoming an administrator Edit
For you to become an administrator, a bureaucrat must make you one. Here at SFW, you can request on the "Admin Nominations" page. You also have to meet a certain level of requirements:
- 1) Must have at least 1000 constructive edits, meaning no spam or vandalism.
- 2) Must have been active on the wiki for at least 6-8 weeks. For users who make new accounts, time spent on the previous account counts to time on the wiki.
- 3) If the user has been banned for vandalism, spam, or trolling, they must wait four weeks after the ban is lifted before they are viable for adminship. This time does not count to time spent active on the wiki. The ban does not count if it was unjustified; such distinction is up to the discretion of the current admins.
- 4) Nominee must know and adhere to the policies of the wiki, and must actively enforce these rules as an admin.
- 5) The user must be capable of being respectful and civilized to all Users, and must do so.
Otherwise, your nomination will be removed immediately.
Bureaucrat nominations Edit
Bureaucrats are the people above admins: not only does a 'crat have the same abilities and privileges as a standard admin; a 'crat is capable of promoting and demoting other admins. This makes a 'crat very important to the wiki, both in promoting new admins, and demoting those who misuse, abuse, or no longer want administrative privileges. To become a bureaucrat, you must meet an even higher level of requirements:
- 1) Must have at least 7000 constructive edits, meaning no spam or vandalism.
- 2) Must have been active on the wiki for at least 3 months. Time spent on previous accounts does not count.
- 3) User must have at least 6 weeks of adminship experience.
- 4) If the user has been justly banned twice, they are immediately exhempt from any bureaucracy nomination.
- 5) Rules 4 and 5 for Administration Qualification also must be adhered to for Bureaucracy Qualifications.
What can administrators not do? Edit
Administrators should not use their administrator powers to settle editing disputes; for example, to lock a page on a version he or she prefers in an editing dispute that isn't vandalism. Administrator powers should be used to help keep SFW clear of vandalism, spam, and users who make malicious edits (i.e. trolls,) but not for simple disagreements between users acting in good faith. Ideally an admin shouldn't be considered "in charge". The ideal admin is just someone who is trusted to have a few extra buttons and to use them for the benefit of the Sonic Fanon community.
What if I don't want to become an administrator at SFW? Edit
There is the position of rollback, which is simply a regular user with an extra button to revert vandalism. Rollback is for those users who want to help the well-being and safety of the wiki, but don't want the responsibility that comes with being an administrator.
If you simply want to look out for vandalism, there is The Vandal Police, which is an organization that helps keep the wiki clear of trolls, spam and vandalism.